This was my second year participating in Febooary, and I plan to participate next year, (even if we don’t have topics.) The person who did the topics for the past 3 years will not be doing them next year, and as of now we don’t know if there will be topics for next year. I have an extremely big file of questions I used for blogathon that could be used for Febooary. So, let’s get to the list:
- 1. I should mute my twitter client before recording. This is obvious, but you’d be surprised at how many times I forgot to do this, and how many times my twitter searches decided they didn’t want to be nice while I was recording, (this happened during take 5 of the PACER demonstration,) causing me to have to record take 6!)
- 2. If I’m going to write a script for something, I should take longer to write and rehearse it than 3 days. I didn’t actually decide to write an explanation for the PACER demonstration until a few days before, and I didn’t start working on it until that Sunday, but I needed way longer than that to prepare.
- 3. I should stick to the script if I’m going to use one. This also suggests longer preparation, but it also says I wouldn’t have to record so many flippin takes if in take 2 I wouldn’t have tried to add things in that I thought were hilarious, but could have easily been misconstrued. Those things will! never! be! published! because I deleted them, (hah!)
- 4. Audioboo should provide a way to edit descriptions after the fact. I gathered the links for the demonstration on my computer, but I was recording it on my phone, (so that I could demonstrate by putting the phone close to the speakers. I had to end up making short URLs out of the links, then typing them in by hand on my phone, which wasn’t much fun. I don’t have email, (or any form of sync set up on my phone,) so I had no way to send them to myself. If I could edit the description after the fact, I wouldn’t have had to type the links in by hand.
- 5. There should also be a way to do some basic editing in the Audioboo app. To take out things in the background like twitter searches going off would have probably saved me from having to do a 3rd take of this morning’s last boo, and take 6 of the PACER demonstration.